Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ta Da!

I am here. Here being the war zone. It doesn't feel like a war zone...but I am sure at some point that will change. I can see outside the wire, and honestly I had it looking all different in my head. It kinda of looks like Vietnam out side the wire. Seriously. Of course inside the wire it looks very much like the desert and if you go down the road a little ways it also looks like the desert, but from where I am at it looks very tropical. I think the trees out there are palm tress, but I am not an expert.

We arrived here a couple days ago, and it has taken me a day or two to adjust and get settled in. Flying in here was a huge fiasco and probably the single worst part of the trip thus far. Not as terrible and stressful as the day before we left for Kuwait, but more along the lines of long and tiring.

We left Kuwait in the afternoon and drove to the airbase and then had to wait around for a long time before we could fly out. My flight got to leave when we were suppose to, and we were here according to plan. However there were two other flights that were suppose to leave before us, but for various reasons they were delayed and the one flight got in this morning and the other flight is still in Kuwait. They don't know when they will be leaving either. I have never been so thankful to have a last name that starts with a "W." Thanks Dad.

Once we got here we had to go through housing to get assigned our CHU, and this was at about 4 am or so. We had already been up all day, and moved all of our luggage numerous times so I was exhausted. I ended up on every baggage detail that we had... I volunteered for it so don't feel sorry for me. Anyway, I get assigned my CHU and head down there only to find that there are two people already living in my CHU. There is suppose to only be one. Awesome.

I go back to the housing managers and tell them, they are at a loss as to what to do, so someone tells me to just find a friend and stay in their CHU if they don't have a roommate. I do this, and turns out it was okay for me to live with this person anyway so at 530 in the morning I am told to go back to the housing office to sign for my room. It was a miserably long night, and I finally got to sleep around 630 am and slept til noon.

I have been taking pictures of my living area so you can see the before and after photos. We haven't started working yet, and won't until sometime this weekend or next. Turns out my job position is not for sure anymore...my old boss wants me back. Great. So now I am still in limbo as to where I am going to end up, and this is very upsetting for me. If I go back to my old job I have no idea what I will be doing, but with the new job I know I will be busy and have a purpose for being here.

The food here is good. Better than Kuwait. The showers are really freaking nice, and we have toilets that flush!!! Which that also means we have sinks with soap. This is all very exciting. Of course we have to walk there with our shower bag... and if you forget something that can really suck.

I am starving, so I am going to go eat lunch. The internet is better here, so I will be able to communicate with everyone easier while I am here. Feel free to comment and tell me what you are up to, because I like to hear what people are doing in the real world.

1 comment:

  1. So keep an eye out for harm, now that you're in harm's way. I'll post this question on your blog in case others are curious about your answer: what to do with your cell phone account? Cancel you off Verizon altogether, ask if they'll hold you an inactive account at no charge, or keep it active in case you need to return Stateside for some reason. Where is your cellphone by the way; did you take it with you? Congratulations on soap.

    Love,
    --Dad

    ReplyDelete