I don't have a routine yet. We are still in the move-in/get settled in phase, and so we have not started our job training yet. That is suppose to being on Saturday, but mine will probably begin Friday just because I have a lot to learn. I am still not sure what section I am going to be in. A.k.a. I don't know what my job title is still...but if it stays with the current job and I don't get taken back to the old position I will be working the night shift. The "graveyard" shift as it is more commonly known. I don't know how I feel about that...only time will tell.
There is a chance that I will work during the day, but I think I would have more to do at night. The building that I am working in is pretty sweet. I took a tour of it today and meet the people we are replacing. They were very nice and helpful, and the building is nowhere close to where I live so getting there everyday is going to be a hike or a bus ride away. I am still trying to work the bike aspect, and hopefully I get one of those. Yes, we are allowed to have bikes here. I am very excited about the idea of taking a picture of me in my ACU's, weapon, and helmet while riding a bike. I think that picture will be a keeper.
Everyone is here now. I said in the last post that we were not sure when everyone was going to get here...well everyone suddenly showed up on the same day and not far apart from each other. One of the flights waited on the runway for about five hours before they got to leave. Poor guys. Communication has been a serious challenge here, because we can't text eachother and we don't know where everyone lives...so finding people is more a less a treasure hunt. It took me all day to find my battle buddy that came in on a later flight (Sgt. Brown for those of you who know names), and when I did find her she said that she had been stuck with different battle buddies that wanted to go shopping all day. She is very much like me, and desperatly wanted to go to the gym.
Dad, you wanted to know about my phone. I have it with me, and it is of no use to me over here. You can put a hold on my phone number if you call the Verizon help desk and it will save you about 10 bucks a month. I won't be using it at all while I am over here. Once I get a routine down I will be able to make phone calls pretty easily. The building that I work at has phones that I can use fairly easily.
I would also like everyone to know that my roommate, Ruscin, is from Arkansas (she is organic to the unit) and she brought an Arkansas flag with her to hang on her wall. I happen to have left my Texas flag stateside...so if someone would like to send me a Texas flag and/or a Longhorn flag feel free. =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh, wow, as soon as you take that picture I'll frame it and hang it in the apartment.
ReplyDeletehmmm... theres got to be a Texas flag around here somewhere, right? Of course, now that you've made a request for flags, I'm sure you'll get 10. I just googled the Arkansas State Flag. Missouri's is better.
I was at a volunteer fair all day recruiting young people for the peace movement, and now I've got ten more minutes to sit on the couch until the weekly rush hour peace demonstration. peace peace peace, thats whats goin on here, big suprise. ha, talk to you soon
Hey just wanted to chime in on the "Graveyard" shift thing. When I was working at The Planet in college I worked the graveyard shift for a summer (when it wouldn't interfere with classes). I think it went from like 6pm to midnight so it was only a semi-graveyard, not the whole night but I still felt like a vampire.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, though, it was really awesome and I'll tell you why (warning: your experience may differ)...
1) There's only a few guys that work the graveyard (this is called a skeleton crew) and they are always the same ones. You get to build a repertoire with them pretty quickly.
2) Nothing happens at night because...well...everyone's asleep! So you can get a lot of personal stuff done.
3) There's usually little or no real management (senior people) on staff in the middle of the night so you don't have to worry about someone breathing down your neck all the time.
4) You can get away with doing stupid crap like throwing pencils at each other, farting whenever you feel like it, watching stupid YouTube/Break videos, etc.
Anyways, glad to hear you're ok! Keep the posts coming - very cool stuff! More pics please!!
(P.S. - This is John btw - I'll make a profile later)
I'm having a hard time picturing your surroundings, can't wait to see your pics. I know you said Balad was big, but I didn't imagine you would be riding a bike from your CHU (picking up on the lingo) to your work site.
ReplyDeleteSo how long was your first shower with real running water?
I hope you get the job that keeps you busiest and before you know it your training the newbies that are taking over for you!
Is Ruscin organic and a vegetarian? I don't have a Texas flag, but I think a Mizzou flag would look great! Don't ya think?
The top 5 news stories at home :
1)Ted Kennedy died
2) Wild fires in California
3) Hurricanes on the Florida coast
4) They found a girl who was kidnapped at
age 11, she is now 29! and has 2 kids by
her captor
5) Cards win AGAIN!
Be safe,
Bev