Today is September 11th, 2009. Which makes it 8 years since the fall of the twin towers, and some would say the start of this war on terror. Although the Obama administration does not call it the war on terror, because that implies that it will never end... Some of you might be wondering what it is like to be in Iraq on 9/11, and it feels like any other day of the week. I slept all day and will work all night, and will keep thinking that I am on a paid vacation. Maybe tonight when I go to work I will learn of a bunch of crazy stuff happening to the troops today, but I was talking to a guy who has been here awhile and this is his second tour and he says that the 29th of the month is the day that they seek revenge and mortar the heck out of us.
I have no idea if this is true seeing as how I have not been on JBB to celebrate the 29th of the month. I didn't have to work last night because of construction going on in my office, so only one of us showed up. Tonight I get to work, and my counterpart will take the night off. It was great having the night off. I finally feel well rested. Last night I watched the rest of season 2 of 30 Rock, and now I must get my hands on season 3. I realized that the Office season 5 should be released any day now, and this is very very exciting.
Not a whole lot has changed in my life since the last post. I posted pictures last time, and the room is still not complete. We can cover the walls in whatever we want as long as we don't damage the fake wood paneling. I already hung up a photo of Colt McCoy (the starting QB for the Longhorns)from ESPN magazine on my wall locker along with a U2 photo that I found in Spin magazine. And my roommate bought a coffeemaker and a glade plug-in (our place smelled like feet) today, so the place is coming along nicely.
The weather is turning really really nice, and I am so excited about this. Last night there was a breeze, and it was actually cool. We were all impressed. In the mornings a couple of my friends have to wake up early because they have to do PT (physical training) every morning...even though it is pretty weak PT, but that is not the point. This morning they went to the pool to go swimming, and I wanted to go swimming with them but my goggles are packed away in my tough box which won't be here until October! Crazy. They told us to pack up anything in the tough box that we wouldn't need for 30 days while in country, and yet they managed to mess things up again and we are getting out tough boxes about two weeks after the initial 30 days. So I probably won't get to enjoy the outdoor pool this year, but will have to swim in the indoor pool when I get my goggles. No, I will not go out and buy new goggles. One I am too cheap for that, two I love the goggles I have, and three I am too cheap for that. The goggles I have I acquired from summer camp about three years ago, and they are really nice...there is nothing that nice here on post.
Enough about goggles. I am about to go to dinner once my friend gets off work, then I am going to go workout, maybe go to the PX to buy coffee filters (the roommate was so excited about the coffeemaker she forgot the coffee and filters), shower, and go to work. Should be exciting stuff.
I hope everyone has a good Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"mortar the heck out of us" sounds pretty bad Anna.. I really don't know what it means, maybe you could elaborate if you are going to use such scary language
ReplyDeleteYes, today is September 11th, and considering we invaded Afghanistan the following October, I would agree it was the start of this "war on terror" as the Bush regime would say. However, I would argue we are at war for quite different reasons, other than preventing terror.
I have been organizing a candle light vigil and memorial service for this evening called "No More Victims." There will be some live music, (easy listening, we'll be in a chapel)and 3 speakers. Imam Abdullah Smith from the local Mosque, S. Jacobs a Catholic Aid Worker, and Dr. Mehr from the local temple. I think it is good mix, and am very interested to hear what they've prepared to say.
There will also be some poetry readings from Stephen's college creative writing students, and I am going to read a poem written by Terri Rockefeller, founder of 'Peaceful Tomorrows,' and organization made up of folks who lost family members in the Sept11th attacks AND who are opposed to the wars.
Then we will go stand on an overpass, over Broadway &College, with our candles and some banners that read "create peace" "imagine peace" "work for peace" and "war no more." There will also be some singing and guitar playing on the overpass. John Lennon would be so proud. I hope people show up :)
Anna loving that poster of Colt McCoy.. thinking of you today and always!
ReplyDeleteColt McCoy is gross....
ReplyDeleteDid you happen to find those goggles in the lost and found??
I found a good pair this year and wear them every time I swim in OK!
Nice digs Anna! The camoflauge bags go nice with the neutral walls, ha, ha. Is that a rifle leaning up against the wall by the front door? Actually, again, I am surprised at how nice your "CHU" is. I pictured you in a barracks with a hundred other soldiers.
ReplyDeleteThe Mizzou flag is on the way, but maybe you should pick a wall other than the one with Colt McCoy, just a thought.
Did you see the Mizzou game on Saturday against Bolwing Green? We did, I was really nervous they were going to lose, but they had a great last quarter and won! Whew!
Well you put the hex on the Cardinals, they now have a losing streak, but fortunately the Cubs can't win either!
I also put some coffee in the box coming over. Me not being a coffee drinker, I blindly picked a few flavors. Let me know how I did and if you prefer a particular brand.
I look forward to you blogs, keep up the great work!
Bev