Sunday, September 6, 2009

Battle Rhythm

Well it has been a few days since I updated my blog, and the reason for this is that I have been slowly adjusting to my new schedule. Right after my last blog post when I said I thought I was going to get the job I wanted, I was quickly placed back at my old job position. Craziness! It has been a very interesint weekend. Long story short I am back at the job I have wanted all along, and I am working the night shift. 1 am to 8 am...which translates to 5 pm to midnight you guys time, so I will probably be able to call people at a decent time of day. I don't know if I mentioned that before, but with the job that I have there are phones that I can use in the break room to call home. Trust me it gets boring enough that this is possible around 3 or 4 am, which is 7 pm US time.

I am slowly adjusting to the night shift, or as we call it getting my battle rhythm down. At this point I go to bed at about 10 am and sleep til about 5, wake up and go eat dinner, come home and hang out for a little bit, go to the gym, shower, and get ready for work. Head off to work around 1230 am and start the whole cycle all over again. The one thing with the Army is that normal stuff always takes forever. Showering for instance takes at least 45 min, beacause we have to get all of our stuff ready for the shower (I am still using my sleeping bag cover as my shower bag) walk to the shower, shower, get dressed, and walk back to the CHU. Laundry is also a very long process, and here they do not allow you to do your own laundry, so it takes three days because you have to turn it in so someone else can wash it. Which might sound nice (someone else doing your laundry) but I don't like people doing my laundry, and I am high maintenance about my clothes and what can and cannot be dried in a dryer...so for me it sucks. Plus three days!!! Once I get my laundry back I have to turn in another bag just so I have enough clean clothes.

Hayley...please send me a picture of you in your bridesmaid dress because that may or may not make my week. =) I looked at the website you gave and needless to say I can't wait to see the wedding photos.

Atrain...you and Smalls getting along? I don't believe it. Pigs are flying somewhere. Shelly showed me pictures of you and Em's apartment and it looks awesome. I wish I was there to play beer pong and cookout on your deck.

This past weekend was the first time I actually felt homesick, and the reason for the homesickness is college football. As most of you know college football is my favorite time of year. October is the best month ever becasue the world series is happening and it is the heart of the college football season. What more could a sports fan ask for? Well this past weekend was kickoff for the college football season, and I got to watch the Mizzou v. Illinois game because there are two big screen tvs at work that are constantly playing sports and the news. So it was great to watch Mizzou stomp all over Illinois, but it made me extremly homesick. Thinking of Columbia and how much of a college town it is, and knowing that all my friends (that don't play rugby) where watching the game and probably tailgating all day and just being awesome college students...it made me miss home.

Alright enough of me being emotional, I need to go shower and then go to work. I will be able to check my blog while I am at work....so post comments. =) It's the highlight of my day. Oh, and I can't talk about what I do at work. Seriously. =) All I can say is that I had a moment at work the other day when I was overwhelemed with the thought "this shit is real now." It is no longer practice...or a game...or whatever other training scenario the Army can come up with to prepare us. What we do is real now. It was an overwhelming moment.

2 comments:

  1. I know you can't talk about what you are doing in your job, but I am really confused. I thought the last job you talked about was the one you really wanted?! Well whatever you ar doing, I"m sure you are doing it well. We are all so proud of you and what (whatever it is) you are doing!

    Go Mizzou! What a game huh! Who would have thunk it? Not Illinois!

    I got the Mizzou flag and I will be sending it soon, so get a spot ready.

    I was so disapointed to hear about your sympathy for the Cubs, whats up with that? The Cards won again today, Carpenter had a 1 hitter. Mike has already bought play-off tickets!

    Now that you are getting your battle rythm I hope your position doesn't change again.

    Stay safe,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you called me out infront of eveyone.
    Is Mike still afraid of blogging, where is he?
    Well watch out Miss Anna you may have wakened a sleeping giant.
    I'm blogging now, that's right my first time dipping my toes in the blogging waters.
    So far so good, now I guess I must think of some witty comment or inciteful obsevation.
    First the witty comment, while your over there making our world a safe place, I'm stuck over here providing safe & functional plumbing for the masses, yes there are tough jobs here too & I have to do it without the benefit of state the art automatic weapons.

    Inciteful observations.... I've noticed you have yet to mention setting any time aside for a triple shot of Baileys with a splash of Frangelica, fear not I will have one waitng for you when you return.

    your blogging buddy, TSMA

    ReplyDelete