Thursday, August 27, 2009

Being Awesome.

People ask me on a regular basis in both the army and everyday life, what am I doing with my life, and I usually reply with "I am being awesome." And that ladies and gentlemen is exactly what I am doing with my life right now. I am being awesome here in sunny Kuwait.

This morning we woke up way too early and went to the range to fire our weapon, just to fire it. We had to make sure they still work. Mine still works. Then I slept a lot, ate some, went to the gym, and now I am on the computer.

Oh, I took a GPS monitor thingy from a friend and figured out how far I walk from our barracks to different places around post. I would say in a given day we probably walk 2 to 3 miles out here. Which isn't a lot, but in this heat...it is a heck of a lot. The heat here is intense, no wait intense does not convey the true nature of the heat during mid-day here...how about stifling? You don't sweat out here, because the second there is perspiration on your skin it evaporates. So when you walk into a cool building (all the A/C's work very well here) your body is overwhelmed and you start sweating profusely. I re-apply my deodorant multiple times a day.

It is also very windy here...very very windy. This may be the most desolate place on earth, so the wind just blows constantly. At home we like it when there is a nice breeze outside, but here there is no such thing as a breeze. Wind = even more heat. It's like someone turned on the blow dryer and you just want them to stop. Not to mention wind = lots of sand in your face. I tell myself that the sand has protein in it, so it's good for me.

I can't upload pictures right now because all the Internet connections on this base are too slow, so hopefully when I get situated I will be able to post all the pics I have taken thus far. If you have seen Jarhead then you know what this place looks like. It really isn't too far from the truth.

Okay, I am going to go to bed now. Nothing on the schedule tomorrow, so that means back to the gym, reading more books, and of course continuing my awesomeness. I am almost done with Frankenstein, and then will start The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe (or is it Galaxy). Just in case you wanted to know what I am reading.

3 comments:

  1. haha, "...and now I am on the computer." Love it.

    I HAVE to make a copy of that tape from Davis Coffee from 8th (9th?) grade where you just keep repeating "I'm Anna; I'm awesome" and sent it to you. Glad to see you haven't let anyone disuade you from that fact. I'm going to need your address to send it to you, though, so please send it my way. Also a list of things I am not allowed to send to an army base (in case my common sense fails me).

    I just noticed that your posting name is Poor Nana. Is that what it's always been or have you changed it?

    I've read the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide; are you reading just the hitchhiker's guide or all 5 books? They were def. bizarre, but funny. And didn't we read Frankenstein in HS? slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa! Hayley, that is hilarious about the tape.

    Items not to send: illegal copies of anything, booze, flea collars, something that would spoil in 10days.

    I found the best way to send things to Anna, is to use a box from the post office. They have several sizes to choose from that the military will accept. So, just pack your box at the post office, there is a flat rate of $11.95, which is awesome. No matter how much the box weighs, it will cost the same..so we can send Anna rocks!!! cool rocks of course.

    Thats a good analogy about the hair dryer.. Ive been using it now to describe the wind when people ask about you.

    Funny.. you'll probably read more this year than you did last year. I just sent more books your way :)YOU'LL LOVE THEM. This is a great way to get you to read all the books I want you to read.

    Stay awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear your are pleased with your new position. I hope you move on to Balad soon. I'll get your address from Shelly and send a package soon, is there something you really miss from home...that fits in a box?

    Mike and I just got back from a short trip to San Diego. The Cardinals were in town and so we went to 2 games! They just might go all the way this year. Go Cards!

    Stay awesome,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete