Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sleep

Well another week has passed, and instead of feeling like I did lots of productive things to better myself...I feel like I did nothing all week. On Friday (yesterday) I went to an 8 hour class on field sanitation. They taught us how to be clean when we are in the field or at war, but I didn't learn anything new. Everything they said I had heard before, and it is pretty basic stuff. Wash your hands after you go to the bathroom and before you eat, don't put the bathroom area next to the food and sleep areas, use bug spray so you don't get eaten by bugs, and stay hydrated. Common sense, but sometimes common sense is not very common. They wouldn't have a class on it if it had not been a problem before...or still for that matter. I have heard some really gross stories about people not wanting to shower and stuff like that.

The other four days of the week I did nothing. I sat in a room and stared at a wall and fought off sleep. Every now and then they would ask me to type something up on excel that would take me about 10 min to do, and then I would go back to staring at the wall. For awhile I was reading during these intense times of boredom, but then our 1st Sgt (very high ranking person) came in to the office and got mad at me for reading personal stuff during office hours. She quizzed me on a bunch of the Army regulation manuals, and I only knew the answers to about half the questions. So she proceeded to lecture me for 5 min about how I need to read the Army Regulations on training and physical fitness and the proper wear of the Army uniform. Me being the person I am said nothing, and just listened to her. However, the whole time I was thinking 'where are these Army Regulations that she speaks of?' The answer: on the computers (everything is online, and if you would like to be up to date on the Army Regulation for the proper wear of the uniform look up AR 670-1 on google) too bad we only have two computers in our office for 10 people, and I am not about to print this stuff off. That would be a waste.

So now I fight boredom all day because I am not going to get in trouble by 1st Sgt again for trying to broaden my horizons by reading personal books. Now you know what I do during the weekdays. Nothing. Sometimes I sneak away and do my laundry, but I get nervous that they will notice I am gone so I go back to staring at the wall.

The highlight of the week was the rainstorm that came barreling into Fort Hood yesterday. I got to watch it roll in and let lose a furry of rain and wind on us. It finally passed and then I got to go running in the rain, which is one of my favorite things to do. Then I stayed up til 1:30 am talking to some people here about life, and now I am very tired today. So I am going back to the barrack to take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment