Today has been a weird day for me in that I am more miserable than usual. I can usually keep my spirits pretty high, but today I just want to sulk in my own misery. I don't know why I feel this way, maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I cannot put my finger on what it is that is making today suck...but I have two ideas and they are:
1.) I am not a morning person
2.) I get annoyed with stupid questions and/or comments
It takes me a good hour before I like to interact with others, and that has caused some problems for me in the sense that I have to interact with people almost immediately after waking up and I think this contributes to my unpleasant mood. Side note: Cara does not annoy me when I wake up... she leaves me alone when I wake up (she has picked up on my "non-morning person" personality).
I work the night shift, so when I wake up at 1800 everyone is ready to go to "dinner" (this word is in bunny ears because the word dinner is subjective, for me it is breakfast and I think it is unfair to label meals in such black and white terms), so Cara and I head to the dinning hall to eat with our group of friends. It is during this time that I usually encounter the stupid questions/comments. People see my cup of coffee at "dinner" and ask the question "coffee for dinner? I could never do that I would be awake all night." When they say this, they have this tone... like what they are really thinking is 'what are you trying to stay up all night to play video games and watch TV like some immature middle schooler on Christmas vacation.' It's
annoying. Or people see my bowl of cereal and make the remark with dripping sarcasm "wow, don't get too full on your bowl of cereal for dinner."
These people annoy me. Why do these people annoy me...because their comments and questions are stupid. I always politely respond with "I work the night shift." And this usually causes a response of "ohhh, okay well that explains why you are drinking coffee and eating cereal. Sorry you have that shift it must really stink." Or something along those lines.
What I am really thinking in my head is: "You're right drinking coffee would keep me up all night and lucky for me that is my intention because this happens to be breakfast time. Not dinner. Breakfast. I guess no one informed you that war is a 24 hour sort of thing. That means someone has to be up to make sure things go smoothly during the night, and I happen to be one of those people. You must be shocked to learn that not all soldiers work 8 to 5. And as for the cereal, well what did you eat for breakfast? Indian food? I didn't think so. Annnddd, just so you know it doesn't stink working the night shift, because there are less people (like you) to distract me from
doing my job and I am on the same time schedule as all my friends and family back home which makes talking to them a lot easier."
See, I am not a morning person. I am aware that people that make these small talk sort of comments are not aware of the fact that they are maybe the 100th person to ask me this question...and they also don't realize how little I like talking to people after just waking up. I know this seems like a harsh response and my parents are probably embarrassed that I would write such sarcastic and negative things. I have been told that at times I am a little too sarcastic and I have acquired the nickname Negative Nancy for a reason. My mom says I get my sarcasm from my dad and my dad says I get my pessimism from my mom. Clearly the stork is to blame.
Moral of the story: If you see me drinking coffee at odd hours don't question it. There is a method to my madness, so just leave me alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beverly & I just bought our first coffee pot since we first got married 28 years ago. Sometimes when we entertain after dinner, as the evening goes on someone in the family would say, is there any coffee? We would say we don't even own a coffee pot, there response of course is, you don't own a freaking coffee pot, then my attitude goes somewhere between embarrassed & aggravated. I mean I don"t want to pop a cap in there ass or anything, but any way I digress. So like I said we just got this coffee pot, when you come home I'll read the directions & make you some coffee but immediately after that I'll make a heaping helping of Baileys in crushed ice with a splash of Frangilica & we can have a soul cleansing discussion on the meaning of all this coffee crap. In the mean time get over it, ya whiny little shit
ReplyDeleteTSMA
Hey Anna. Just to let you know that all humans are basically incapable of handling anything other than 9-5 I of course understand after working the "night shift" for 14 yrs. A lot of people couldn't understand how we could go to the bar and have a few at 07:00. What they didn't know is that was our 17:00 and we were ready for that. My comment to those people was "My god how in the hell can you eat that for breakfast you must be one of those people that they have special olympics for cause only crazy or mentally ill people eat stuff like that for breakfast. Oh I'm sorry I work the night shift so while you are sleeping someone has to cover you a--.Maybe I'll just call you at say 03:00 to see what you are doing. Have a nice day since you just put mine in the toilet. Sorry I didn't used to be a morning person either but now I'm what they consider a dumb a-- cause My day starts at 04:30 and ends sometime around 20:00. Hope this finds you well and can't wait till you come home Love always Uncle Dale & Aunt Susie
ReplyDelete