Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas time

Today is the big day. Christmas. Woot. I know that a lot of people feel bad for me cause I am stuck over here and not with family and friends back home...but today just feels like another day. If it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of decorations in the dinning halls and all the AFN commercials wishing me a happy holidays and thanking me for my service I wouldn't know that today was any different than say yesterday or the first day we got here. Well it has cooled off considerably and I did have yesterday off which was nice. So I guess today is a little different.

Honestly I don't feel all down and sad that I am over here for Christmas. I have never been a big fan of the holiday (thanks Dad a.k.a. Scrooge) for reasons I will not get into, so I don't mind being here. Thanksgiving was way more of a beat down than Christmas. Last Christmas I spent in Plano eating dinner with my brother and his best friend Neil and his family. It proved to be a fun evening, but the following week was a heck of a lot more fun.

I went to a friends lake house for four days with some of my closest friends and had the time of my life. I would give my right arm to go back to that lake house right now with those people, and eat ourselves into a food comma and attempt to play Wii while intoxicated. For the record I still remain unbeaten in Wii tennis. Apparently real tennis carries over to Wii tennis...who would have thought that 8 years of tennis lessons would still be helpful four years later.

This morning I made my friends take a "family" picture, and I felt like my mom when she attempts to get my brother, dad, and me in one place for a family photo. The picture would have been awesome except Cara had her eyes closed. So close. Hopefully one of my friends has a better picture.

All in all today was okay. Nothing to complain about (other than not being able to go to the gym), and I have to work tonight which means I get to read and watch more Scrubs.

I hope everyone back home is having a safe and fun Christmas. I know that a lot of my friends and family are experiencing a white Christmas, so have fun with that and get into an awesome snow ball fight for me.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Chirtmas Anna Great to hear this day wasn't as much of a bummer. Can't say that for here though. 20 plus inches of snow and 40plus mph winds have pretty much put all travel plans for the holidays in the toilet. Thankful that you and all our families are safe. Thats all that matters. As for going outside to see what the h-- is going on, Not the best idea in the world. Hard to stay safe that way. I do that with tornadoes but I am trained well on what to look and feel for in that situation. Incoming is a little different. Next time resist the urge and take cover. Be safe and come home soon. As Always Uncle Dale & Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tyler TX was so beautiful! I wish we were sitting in those lawn chairs on the deck drinking some of that amazing punch Shelly whipped up. That trip consisted of eating, sleeping, and 30 Rock. Thus it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete