What do tornadoes and mortars have in common? When you see or hear one you want to go outside and look instead of take cover.
I guess I should explain why I said this. Sometime last week we were hit by a serious mortar attack. Six of them in one morning and two of them actually went off. Usually they hit and don't explode, but apparently this day the bad guys found some that still worked.Well two of them hit really close to my CHU and I ran outside to see what was going on. Okay the story goes like this. SFC McAllen had just dropped me off at my CHU after work and we were standing around talking and we hear this really loud explosion and at the same time say "what the heck was that?" (I am trying to keep it PG). And then 5 seconds later the CRAM (a big anit-missile thing that doesn't always work...like in this instance) goes off and we decide that we want to go see what the heck just happened. Oh, and there was no siren to fore warn us of this incoming fire.
We run outside and at about this time we hear the CRAM go off again and then 5 seconds later hear another loud explosion and this time we see smoke from the explosion. It was probably 200 yards away maybe more. At this time we both realize what we have done...running outside instead of taking cover. We look around and notice that numerous other people are doing the same thing. It doesn't make it safe or smart, but it means that curiosity is dangerous. That is why it killed the cat.
There were four more attacks before noon. Two were shot down and two more landed somewhere and didn't go off. I slept through it all.
boo
ReplyDelete