Friday, January 29, 2010

100

Yesterday (Thursday) we reached the 100 mark for IDF (indirect fire) attacks. Mortars attacks. Pretty exciting if I may say so myself.

SFC McAllen has been keeping track of all the IDF attacks, and on Thursday we got hit with two, so that brought the grand total to 100 attacks since we got here on Aug 28th. Now you know why they call this place Mortaritaville.

Other than hitting the 100th IDF attack nothing else exciting has happened. Oh, I did find out that during that IDF attack in which we reached 100, that the Air Force can't spell. I was watching TV in my CHU and when there is a command post message (a voice comes over the loud speaker saying "incoming, incoming, incoming") they scroll it across the TV. Well I was reading the message and noticed that they spelled vicinity "viciity". Awesome. They should hire my dad as their editor. Hell, they should hire me as their editor...they should hire someone as an editor!

I have had the past three nights off of work. That is how boring and pointless my "job" has become. I only work 4 days a week, and the other three days are spent doing nothing.

Well not really nothing. I occupy my time by working out and eating. Actually, the past three days I had off I woke up around 0900, and went over to SFC McAllen's room to drink coffee until lunch at 1200. During this time Newton and Rogers usually stopped by and hung out because they are working about as much as I am. After lunch, I went to the gym and then came home and showered. I then watched Jeopardy and Cash Cab before we all went to dinner. On Thursday night I went to Bible study and Friday night (last night) we had a cookout between the shower trailers.

It was the birthday of one of the workers who cleans the shower and toilet trailers and we decided to throw her a birthday party because a.) we can and b.) they do a lot for us so we wanted to say thanks. The two women are from Ethiopia and the two men are from Nepal. And we had about 16 people show up to sing her happy birthday and eat cookout food. Chaplain, SFC McAllen, Newton and I ended up sitting around the fire we built out of the grill till 1230 am. Actually, I had to leave for work at that time, but they were still sitting out there and it didn't look like they were leaving anytime soon. We had just started a deep discussion about religion. This happens a lot in the presence of the Chaplain. Now I am at work and smell like a fire. Guess I will be forced to shower and wash my uniform after tonight. Dangit.

The Super Bowl is in a week. We are allocated two beers for the occasion. Real beer. I am going to pass. Why? Because I am a beer snob, and refuse to drink Miller Light, Bud Light or any other piss tasting beer that the military has to offer me. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since the end of July, and I am not going to ruin that with crappy beer. I respect beer and myself to much to do that.

Don't have much else to report on. I guess that is a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment