Friday, July 24, 2009

Living conditions

So Hayley brought up a few good questions about my life here, like what are the barracks like that I live and what are the people like. This made me realize one that I need to take more pictures and two I should tell you guys about it.

So we are living on North Fort Hood, which Ft. Hood is so big that it has a west and south fort. It is also called "The Great Place," seriously. I am currently living with about 30 other females in an open bay with about 7 showers, 4 toilets, and 5 sinks. The lights are generally on til 11 at night and people decide to wake up as early as 5 am or earlier sometimes. So sleep is precious and I get very little quality sleep here.

The people here...well that is a complex question. I have found a great group of friends that I hang out with. The most important thing is they love Friends and one of them has all ten seasons on DVD, so of course she is my best friend here. There are others that I don't care for, but I just don't hang out with them. Overall though, I am much happier that I am deploying with this unit over the one in Jeff City, MO. That unit was full of a bunch of male truck drivers, and although I got along with them I was not close to any of them (and there were about 5 other females and I was the highest ranking one). Here there are a lot more females, and lots of people that I could see myself being friends with in real life.


I got sick last week because I am living with 30 other people and they decided to stick me with a small pox, typhoid, and anthrax vaccine all in the same day. It was rough, but the sickness went right on down the line.

OH! I am on a top bunk. For those of you who know about my feelings and experiences with top bunks...well I hope you are laughing right now. We eat in a chow hall that serves probably well over 400 hundred soldiers, but can only seat like 100 at a time. Oh and all the workers there are on a work release program from prison (even the women).

I completed my class today. Got a certificate and everything! I really wish I was going to be using this program in Iraq, but more than likely I will not. Oh well, it makes me look good on paper (you can add these classes to your "army resume").

Well maybe I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here, so you can have a visual of where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment