Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Awards

I finally have something to write about. MSG McAllen's promotion and the awards ceremony.

SFC McAllen is now a master sergeant (MSG) and Newton and I were the ones who pinned her. When you get promoted you get "pinned." Usually the commander and the 1SG, or in a brigade the CSM pin the soldier, but you can ask to have someone else pin you. MSG McAllen decided a long time ago that she was going to have someone else pin her. She asked Newton and I to do so, and that was very cool. It was an honor to pin her and it definitely made the ceremony more memorable to her and to us. Some people thought it was funny that she would have a sergeant and a PFC promote her...and it was, but that is how we roll over here.

Before the current uniform when you got pinned they would pin the rank in your collar and then the person would hit you on your rank and it would hurt if it was done correctly because the brass backings of the rank would hit into your collar bone. Now we don't have pin on rank, so when your rank is put on we now punch the person in the chest. When Newton hit MSG McAllen in the chest she nearly knocked her over. It was great.

I pinned her rank into her cover...in case you were wondering what part I played.

We had our end of tour awards ceremony yesterday, and it was an interesting event. It was interesting because some people got awards that I personally did not feel were warranted and others did not get the recognition that I felt they deserved for all they have contributed to the 90th.

The 90th gave out about 100 ARCOMs. Army Commendation Medal. It is given to someone who "distinguishes himself by an act of heroism, extraordinary achievement, or meritorious service which has been of mutual benefit to a friendly nation and the United States." It sounds a little over the top for going into work everyday and not messing up. Now a days the ARCOM feels more like it is given not for doing your job above and beyond what is expected of you, but just for doing your job.

There were some Bronze Stars given out and that is what really made us talk about the ridiculousness of the Army and the 90th. I personally feel that no one deserved a bronze star. Not because our mission got cut short, and therefore it feels like we were not able to preform to our highest ability, but because the bronze star is awarded to someone who "
distinguished himself or herself apart from his or her comrades by brave or praiseworthy achievement or service, that did not include participation in aerial flight." The award was originally created for infantry soldiers and I feel like it should be awarded to people that distinguish themselves in battle. There are AFN "commercials" over here that tell stories about soldiers that received the bronze star and they are always related to combat and performing heroically in the face of the enemy. Everyone that received the bronze star, except for one soldier, never left the FOB.

I am thankful of the work that the soldiers performed...but I don't feel it is bronze start worthy. Maybe MSM (Meritorious Service Medal) worthy, but not Bronze star. There were a good number of soldiers that received the MSM, and I am okay with most of those awards. The 1LT who is a Physicians Assistant in real life definitely deserved hers, because she has been taken care of our broke and sick selves since we mobilized. I can only imagine where we would be without her, but more importantly you can tell that she really cares about soldiers and the medics that work for her.

I received an ARCOM. I don't feel like I deserved it. I did my job and managed to not mess it up too badly. It's whatever. 1LT Duvall put all the LNO's in for the Order of St. Martin award, and that was definitely more meaningful and something that I was proud to receive. The Order of St. Martin is an award that is given by a civilian organization, and St. Martin is the patron saint of the Quartermaster Corp. The Quartermaster Corp is a logistics corp that deals with food, water, and living quarter type things. It is called Class I supply. 1LT Duvall has a quartermaster MOS, and he received the award from his first tour over here. He put the four of us in for the award, and it is given to soldiers that work with quartermaster operations in the field of combat. In other words what the 90th did over here...supporting the mission.

It was very thoughtful of him to put us in for the award and it took him a lot of time and effort. And most importantly we can wear the medal with our Class A's.

Here is a picture taken after the awards ceremony. Back row: me, MAJ Herrick, CH Hedlund, and Cara. Front row: MSG McAllen and CPT Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment