Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week in Review

Today is Monday for me, which means it is still Sunday evening for everyone back home. This week has been another week of the same stuff that happened last week. My co-worker and I have worked out a schedule that will give us more time off. The job we do is really a one person job because there is only one computer to use, so it has become pointless for us both to sit there and twiddle our thumbs. We both "work" four days a week. You may be wondering how that math works out, well on Tuesday's I work the evening shift so as to allow the swing shift guy a day off. I still come to work on the days that I don't brief (a.k.a. work), but I use the computers in the computer lab to check my facebook and send email's and then I usually leave early.

I think today I might go swimming in the indoor pool. They are closed from 1 to 4 am, which would of course be the ideal time for me to swim on days that I don't brief. However, if I go to sleep early I may wake-up and go swimming in the afternoon.

Let's see what has happened since last post...Cara and I ran in the Army 10 miler. Every year the Army hosts a 10 mile race in Washington D.C. and people from all over the country fly into to run in it. This year they decided to have one out here in the desert for us. It was on Saturday and Cara and I ran it in 98 minutes, which was my goal of 10 minute miles. As someone who is not a fan of running I was pretty happy with keeping that pace. The last mile we ran in like 8 minutes though, because all we could think about is the sweet t-shirt we were going to get, and stopping.

After the race everyone from my unit took a picture in front of the finish line, and I hope to get a copy of that photo. There were quite a few of us that ran in it. I think maybe 30 or so people from my unit, and there were probably close to a thousand participants in total. The fastest male from my unit ran it in 62 minutes and the fastest female ran it in 74 minutes. I don't know what the winning times were, but that is crazy fast.

Cara and I ran the whole thing together, and when we were done we slept all day (she had the day off) and watched college football. We were both in a lot of pain and all I could think was who the heck would want to run another 16.2 miles on top of that. Today my knee has stopped hurting but my hip is still sore. I think I pulled a muscle...which is weird because I wasn't running fast.

Cara and I also finished putting our CHU together. We lofted my bed and that gave us lots of room to store stuff (like all the pointless equipment they give us that we are never going to use). We bought a TV, fridge, Xbox, transformers, power strips, and a DVD player for dirt cheap from some guys that are leaving. They also threw in a couple TV shows like Robot Chicken and movies for free, and they gave us a really nice shelf to put over the TV. So now we have the best CHU to hang out in, and pretty soon we are going to start having movie nights at our place. I will of course post pictures of what the place looks like once I get around to it.

Now that our TV works we get to watch college football and baseball at our place. I was at work during the Mizzou game. I watched the whole thing because I was not briefing that day. It was very very very upsetting. I could have cried. That was the biggest choke I have ever seen Mizzou do, and I hope it is the last time they blow a game like that. Two touchdowns in two minutes?!?! Ugh.

Of course the Cardinals also lost that night on an even bigger choke play by an outfielder. I saw the hightlight, and even I could have caught that ball. I am not a Cards fan...so I don't feel bad, but I imagine that Friday was a very somber day in STL.

The Chaplin took Cara and I out to dinner the other night. Well, Cara wanted to talk with the Chaplin about a book that they had both read and Cara invited me to tag along. It turned out to be one of the better evenings I have had since being here. We ate wwwaayy too much food and entertained ourselves with stories of home and our adventures here.

Of course last night was Sunday, so that means church. Cara and I missed half of church because I left my glasses at the bus stop. Opps. I have prescription sunglasses, so I carry my glasses in the case while I wear my sunglasses. Since I was in my PT uniform I had no pockets, and I left my sunglasses sitting next to me at the bus stop and didn't realize this until we got into church and I went to switch them out. So then I had to go back to the bus stop...and hope they were there (which they were sigh of relief). Cara came with me because she is nice, and by the time we got back we had missed half of church. It's alright though we got the message and we made it in time to hear the lead singer in the choir mess up. She started singing the wrong song, and the guitarist had to correct her. To which she said "oh my god!! You would think I would know this stuff after doing it for three weeks!!" It made us all laugh.

Dinner was the usual large group of people and another great meal. Not because the food is good, but because of the people. The food actual makes me sick here. Or something is making me sick, and not just me Cara and Kerry too. There are many days where after we eat we get this nauseous feeling like we want to throw up...but can't. We think it's the food or maybe all the dust? Anyway, something is making our stomachs act out in pain.

Thanks for all the comments. Aunt Susie and Uncle Dale I saw your comment so you figured it out. It was also very exciting to know that my family in Nebraska is keeping up with my life over here. Hayley, do you work near 30 Rock? I love that TV show by the way, season 3 season finale was TV greatness. Also, you are going to run a half marathon...I clearly remember your disdain for running. Good luck, and keep me posted. Cindy Lee, I do remember you from back in the day. Thanks for reading the blog. Grandma Chris, I am so relieved that you got the posting thing worked out. Can't wait to hear what sorts of things you have to say. I am also following your life via your blog very closely. A-train, hey. Just wanted to throw a shout-out to ya. =)

Finally. I have not made any decisions yet as to the re-enlistment thing.

1 comment:

  1. Anna let us know what kind of food we can send over to help the stomach pains!! How was the canned soup we sent over? What a bout mac n cheese? What was the best care package sent over to you or one of your friends?

    Bev

    ReplyDelete